Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Cactus to Hell Hike

OK, so it's really called the Cactus to Clouds hike... but it was by far the most brutal hike I've ever been on in my life! On Sunday, I did a group hike in Palm Springs where one hikes from 800 feet to 8500 feet in 10 miles. We began the hike at 5:30 a.m. The group part of the hike disappeared in about the first mile as Michael and I were at the back of the pack. Then, by about mile 2, we relieved the sweeper of his duty and were officially dead last. For the rest of the morning, we battled fatigue, loss of breath, loss of will and I tried to relieve some terrible blisters the size of dimes on the backs of my ankles.

We completed the portion of the hike that ends at the top of the tram at 1:45 and passed 3 people in the last couple miles. Well, one had run out of water and her asthma medicine and another was our sweeper who was suffering muscle spasms - so I can't take too much pride in that. I believe Michael would have made it a little faster without me. But as much as I tried and, I could not increase my turtle pace. I actually feel that the only reason we finished is that the option to turn around would have been worse after the first few miles. Those who completed the hike in less than 6 hours did the second part of the hike which takes you from 8500 feet to a little over 10,000 feet in 6 miles. This would make your whole day a nice 22 miles because you take the tram down instead of the treacherous, terrible hike that we took up.

So, I'm glad I did it; the hike gave me a good sense of accomplishment, but if I am ever invited to do this hike again or one that is similar, I either will decline or have to get a new pair of legs!

1 comment:

Little Kenny said...

Yeah and I bitched about the little bit of uphill at Yosemite. I think the proper hike would have been to take the tram UP and then hike back down. Yes I think that's it.