Sunday, February 10, 2008

Damn Jelly Shoes!

So I had been hearing for a while that jelly shoes had come back with all the other terrible 80's fashion. I never truly believed it until yesterday. I was walking around Urban Outfitters happily noting that they were starting to come away from such an 80's throw-back look, when the jellies caught my eye. It was like getting smacked in the face! They just came out of nowhere and looked identical to the jellies of the 80's (yes, I had a pair).


It dawned on me that I hated jellies more than any other fashion product of the 80's. I hated them more than stirrup pants (I never had those), day-glo (I had one thing), legwarmers (I had one pair as a little kid) and acid wash jeans (I never had those). I think they are the epitome of 80's tackiness. At least stirrup pants started with a purpose: to keep your pants inside your boots. Jellies served no purpose but to make your feet sweaty, smelly and sticky. Michael joked that they've probably just been sitting in a warehouse for over 20 years waiting for their opportunity to get out. I wouldn't doubt that with the Urban Outfitter ones, but as I poked around for pictures, I realized that all sorts of designers have put out their own version: Kate Spade, Marc Jacobs, Betsey Johnson, etc. But the best pair is by Stuart Weitzman bejeweled with Swarovski crystals and selling for $115 at Bloomingdales!

6 comments:

Mrs. LK said...

Being in the shoe industry, Urban outfitter is behind the time. Jellies were in LAST YEAR. Thoese pictures from Betsy Johnson, Kate Spade, and Stuart Weitzman were last years styles. I admit I LOVE Jellies. They are great when you go to the beach. Easy to clean. You don't have to pay $115.00. You could find them on a clearance racks and pay around $30 -$40. You are a fool if you paid full price. It only cost around $10.00 to product them.
Now I know what to get you for your B-day.....

Mrs. LK said...

BYW, I guess I inspired you to finally post something on your blog. It has been a while. and when you do finally update it, the subject is shoes.

Mrs. LK

Rosanna Kicks Ass said...

So, of course you inspired me with your visit to get back on the blog bandwagon :) However, I wouldn't even pay $5 for jellies! I hate them so much. I know I'm behind the times here on my pointing them out, but jellies should have never come back, ever, ever, ever!

Mrs. LK said...

You won't have to pay $5.00 for them. It will be FREE when I get you one. It could be sooner. Fedex my have a delivery for you. And if you want, I could have them place fux fur lining.

Mrs.LK

Rosanna Kicks Ass said...

If you send me jellies, they will go straight into the trash!

Unknown said...

i read your article and i found it good. you provide good information in it. I like the Internet because without internet
i am nothing. loved the way you explain. thanks.
Sewer & Drain Repair
trenchless pipe replacement
Sewer Line Repairs
Rooter Service
Water Heaters