Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Who Wears Short Shorts?

So I was flipping around the TV this weekend and found Friday the 13th Part 2. I love watching horror movies in the morning; it's just a great way to start the day. I've never actually seen any of the Friday the 13th movies. Being a child of the 80's, I had to watch it. I love late 70's and early 80's teenage movies: the hair, the music, the cool dudes looking like regular goofy guys. The whole stoney atomosphere was perfected in this movie. Then I got hit with the fashion. Within the first 20 minutes came this shot (you can see the rest of it here):



This movie came out in 1981! Look at those shorts! This is a much more "sexy" outfit than the ones I've seen in the current run of teenage movies. (Yes, I watch them; I love teenage movies.) And then the shirt is classic. A Mickey Mouse half shirt with no bra. Come on, what were the 80's doing?

Watching this movie made me think of the how much the media promotes the predominent parental concern that kids are exposed to too much sex and violence. "How can the kids be expected to handle it all?" I always think of the 80's as not that long ago. But 1981 was 27 years ago. I bet many of these concerned parents aren't too much older than the cast of movie. This movie and others like it were super full of sex and violence. Is it really that much different today? No, parents just need an excuse as to why their kids do terrible things and they don't want to take the blame themselves.

1 comment:

forksplit said...

Damn!! I hope Jason didn't kill her before she got a chance to flash those boobies!!!