Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So I saw this movie last night and thought it was mediocre. My friend Adam was terribly disappointed. Taking his reasons for disappointment into consideration, I reread some parts of the book. Today, I thought about the movie and feel that it doesn't have much to do with the spirit of the book. So I was going to write all my reasons why and back them up and so forth. But then I went to the IMDB and checked out the the message board. Man, the posts are either totally silly, "Oh this was a great movie, I can't believe you didn't like it" or a 10-page thesis critiquing every minute of the film. I mean the authors are searching the movie for all the inconsistencies with the books, radio show, TV show, etc. Then they go on to write about the screen adaptation of the Lord of the Ring books. And then they look at all the book to movie adaptations over the history of film. Of course some are going to suck. Of course the director/writer will have to change things, even the plot. I can make the list of many books better than their movies and many movies I would see and never read the books. So let's just look at it as a movie. Pretending I didn't read the book: the love story was overbearing for a good sci-fi comedy and slowed down the pace; the fact that earth is a giant computer was kind of glossed over and that concept could've used a bit more oomph; Ford Prefect is cool, let's hear more from him.
That's it.

3 comments:

Little Kenny said...

Just looking at the trailers I pretty much expected this. Oh well. I'll try to give it a fair chance when I finally see it. Should be on DVD next week. Heh.

Anonymous said...

Why does there always need to be a love story?
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the Radio Show, the book, and the BBC TV series were all excellent. And all a little bit different.
The movie? I am sure it sucked.
It has to.
Douglas Adams is dead.
D&D the Movie sucked too.
Lots of movies suck.
Long live NETFLIX!

Kristos

Anonymous said...

Cannibal the Musical!
I will never eat strangers again!