Thursday, May 19, 2005

Stupid Green Day

So there I am sitting in the dentist chair numbing up in preparation for getting drilled. I see Entertainment Weekly, nice light reading as I await my dentist's return. I come across a picture of Green Day all done up in their pretty suits and eye-makeup. I must preface the rest of this with the fact that I currently despise Green Day as a bunch of posers. Accepting Grammy's... letting people call them "punk." Look, I don't pretend to know a bunch about music, but I do know posers and the members of Green Day are a bunch of posers - putting out a concept album, who are they, Pink Floyd?

So anyway, on to the Entertainment Weekly article... they're such dorks, they're all in suits and the article quotes their stylist (yeah, that's so punk to have a stylist):" 'Looking smart in a suit is not new,' says Green Day stylist Dee Anderson. ''It's more a resurgence of the old-school punk style of bands like the Clash.' " (whole article here). Did I miss something? I don't remember the Clash wearing Christian Dior? Maybe there's a tie and funky sports coat sometimes, but I don't remember them being all pretty with makeup and designer suits. Plus, if you've got to point to The Clash... where are those real old-school punks? If I know who a band is, then they've made it to mainstream radio and that, except in rare cases, doesn't exactly equal PUNK!

POSERS!!!!

No comments: