Monday, October 02, 2006

Hotels Just Can't Get Enough $$$

So Michael and I used some points and stayed at a pretty nice resort hotel over the weekend. The resort has tennis courts, golf, a gym and spa. I cannot complain about the level of service; there was serious pampering. However, people are spending at least $500 per night, so that service is expected. That brings me to my point (finally). So we stroll over to the the gym just to check it out. There is a $20 fee. One guy is working out, no surprise. Our purpose in getting the hotel was to go out to dinner and not worry about drinking and driving. So we go out to the lobby to get a taxi. Turns out they have a car service and it costs $18 to go about 5 minutes away. A little steep, but no big deal, until, we ask the restaurant to call us a taxi and they say they have a complimentary car for us. We didn't even have to spend $500! Regardless, it was a great night's sleep at the hotel.

So the next morning, we decide to play tennis and walk over to the courts. We ask for a court and find out that it's going to cost us $20 per person. I can see if you're gonna play for hours, but we weren't. We paid anyway because we were there with rackets in hand and all jazzed to play.

I can see the hotel's point of view: people who can afford to stay here shouldn't care about a measly $20 here and there. My point: if a hotel is going to charge that much for a room, a couple of the amenities should be free. I figure with the revenue (both guests and public) from the golf course, the spa and the restaurants, they should allow hotel guests a free workout and some tennis. At least they didn't charge for self-parking; I REALLY HATE that!

Or, they should make you aware beforehand that fees will be charged so that you don't look like a schmuck when they tell you to your face and you want to say, "no, I don't want to pay that, I'll be leaving now."

5 comments:

Little Kenny said...

If your paying $500 a night, they should provide free internet. But of course not. While cheaper hotels provide a free service for using the net.

Imelda

Little Kenny said...

Hmmph! That will teach me to walk away from the computer while still logged in.

~lk

Rosanna Kicks Ass said...

I do agree with the internet charges, especially if the Best Western can afford to give it up for free along with free breakfast, all for $80/night! And Mr. Little Kenny, you better get a hold of your wife or get her a handle of her own :)

Little Kenny said...

Imelda didn't appreciate your "snotty" comment, but I did.

Rosanna Kicks Ass said...

It wasn't meant to be snotty; it will just boost my ego to see comments from more than 1 person on my blog :)