Monday, November 06, 2006

Voting with Crazy People

Arizona has the longest ballot ever. But I like to be an informed voter, so I go online to read about the millions of propositions on the Arizona ballot. It's a pretty nice website and saves paper by not printing what would be a huge book to list all the proposed laws texts, the legal analysis and "for" and "against" arguments. Now it's this last part proves the most entertaining and irritating all at the same time. I was reading the arguments for Proposition 201 which is a smoking ban. I already decided to vote for it, but was reading the arguments to see if there were any compelling reasons to change my vote. Surprisingly, I found a reason under the "for" arguments. This crazy guy writes the following,

BAN, BABY, BAN! Attention Voters of Arizona: What right does anyone have to pollute my air and make me smell stinky? If I don't like something, I am going to do everything within my power to get rid of it. That's the power of a Government Ban. I don't like the smell from smoke, except smoked salmon cooking on my barbeque. I should not have to smell smoke and that's why I am all for a government ban. In fact, I think it should be illegal for people to smoke in their cars. We should have the government issue "DWS" tickets and make people pay huge fines. Publicity, and fighting for a person's right to smoke makes it harder for us who are trying to rid our society of other bad things such as alcohol, tobacco, and worse, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, and Hydrogenated oils. I think this is the appropriate step in our march towards a cleaner, healthier society. Next stop, we can start targeting the other vendors and citizens using things that are bad for us:
Caffeine
Fast Food
NutraSweet
America is made up of a bunch of addicted fatties. We need the government to step in and help us get back on the right track. Just like parents step in when their children are out of control, the government needs to slap America's hand out of the cookie jar. Anyone who smokes should be ashamed of themselves. Your days are numbered. It is time to destinkify the air we breathe. Join me in supporting a total Government Ban.
Bob Roberts, Scottsdale

So this guy is either insane or using satire to convince those reading the "for" arguments to vote against the proposition. It think he's crazy. I considered for just a moment changing my vote so that I didn't side with this crazy person! But then thought that either way, crazy man or satirist, this yahoo isn't going to change my vote. So I'm all for freedom of speech, but when it comes to official voting arguments, I think that the state should censor that freedom and not publish the rantings of a lunatic.

Hello, that's why we have blogs!

2 comments:

forksplit said...

That's gotta be fake!! The guy's name is Bob Roberts.....That's like Dick Richards or Jim Jameson or Bill Williams or Chuck Charles or whatever.....Sounds fake to me.

Little Kenny said...

I say we hunt him down at Thanksgiving.

Mwuhahahahahahahahaha!